Schedule and Events
SCHEDULE & EVENTS - 2020
Thursday, February 13
This is the day that we STRONGLY encourage you to fly to Puerto Rico. If you are three or four time zones away, it will be great for you to shake off the jet lag. In addition, it will give you ample cushion time to reschedule your flight in the event that there is foul weather that forces airports to cancel flights.
Friday, February 14 (check-in day, first option)
This is the day when you get to open your bike box, assemble your bike and make sure all the fine tuning has been taken care of. Bike shops affiliated with the event will be ready to handle all your issues. By taking care of all your bike related issues on this day, you will be able to enjoy what the historic Old City of San Juan has to offer and get ready to join us the following day on the San Juan City Bike Tour.
- First Day Vuelta Puerto Rico Check-In & Jersey Pick Up - The Aloft San Juan Hotel is where the registration is located. The hotel's address is 300 Convention Blvd, San Juan, inside the Puerto Rico Convention Center. ID is required to register! Check-in will be open from noon until 5:00 PM. You will receive your packet with all the instructions at registration. Then relax, enjoy the Old City of San Juan, have a Piña Colada, meet other riders. Remember there will be NO CHECK-IN ON SUNDAY!
Saturday, February 15 (check-in day, second option)
San Juan City Bike Tour - Check-In starting at 7:00 AM: Show your ID and pick up your jersey, put it on and you are ready to go! Leaving promptly at 8:00 AM, you will enjoy the 35-40 mile peloton style ride around the Capital City of San Juan... Vuelta Puerto Rico style... all green lights! If you have rented a bike from us, it will be ready for pick up before the San Juan City Bike Tour starts. Just make sure you are there at 7:00 AM sharp allowing one hour for tweaking.
- Second Day ... Vuelta Puerto Rico Check-In & Jersey Pick Up - Aloft San Juan Hotel located at 300 Convention Blvd, San Juan, within the Puerto Rico Convention Center. ID Required! Check-in will be open from noon until 5:00 PM. Receive your packet with all the instructions during this period. Then relax, enjoy the Old City of San Juan, have a Piña Colada, meet other riders. Remember there will be NO CHECK-IN ON SUNDAY!
DAY 1: Sunday, February 16 (no check-in this day)
- Day One of Vuelta Puerto Rico: San Juan to Ponce, 150 miles - We start at 5:00 AM from the Tapia Theater in Old San Juan. Make sure to leave your luggage in the designated area of any one of La Vuelta Puerto Rico affiliated hotels or bring them to the Start in Old San Juan. If you are staying at the Aloft San Juan Hotel, remain there, the peloton will pass right by it before 5:10 AM. All others staying in other affiliated hotels, go to the Aloft San Juan or to the start at the Tapia.
DAY 2: Monday, February 17
- Day Two of La Vuelta Puerto Rico: Ponce to Mayagüez, 80 miles - We all start at 6:00 AM from the affiliated hotels where Road Captains will lead you to the location where all pelotons will merge and ride together. We will all ride at a neutral speed of 16 mph until we reach the breakfast location. Depending on the finalized location for breakfast, it could take between 30 minutes to an hour. Location to be determined closer to the event. We will later reach the Flag Pavillion in Mayagüez for lunch. Our Road Captains will lead all departures from the Flag Pavillion toward all northbound hotels and Rincón. We are expecting to arrive in Rincón by 3:00 PM.
DAY 3: Tuesday, February 18
- Day Three of Vuelta Puerto Rico: Mayagüez to San Juan, 133 miles - Peloton C starts at 5:30 AM, Peloton B starts at 7:00 AM, and Peloton A starts at 8:30 AM. Staying in Mayagüez town center? The police or Road Captains will escort you all the way up to the Holiday Inn Mayagüez, the Headquarters Hotel. If you are staying at a hotel in Rincón, allow 30 extra minutes for the peloton to reach your area where you will meet them along Road 115. All groups are expected to be in Dorado at 3:00 PM. At 4:00 PM we will all ride together at a neutral speed of 16 mph into the Old City of San Juan. Expected arrival time at the finish is no later than 5:00 PM.
Wednesday, February 19
We strongly recommend you take a few days off for a little relaxation. Go for a recovery ride... get your bike packed.
Thursday, February 20
You may want to consider the idea of relocating to Puerto Rico on this day. Need a real estate broker?
DAYS OFF- (other things to do!)
Most riders who travel to Puerto Rico to ride Vuelta Puerto Rico choose to extend their trip so they can enjoy more sights and relax on the beach. Many bring their non-riding friends and family to share the experience. You may want to consider the following day trips while you are in Puerto Rico:
- Tommy Torres Concert: Coliseo de Puerto Rico (Feb. 14th!)
- El Yunque Rain Forest (see website for hours)
- Bio Bay Tour in Fajardo
- Day Trip to the Island of Culebra
- Day Trip to the Island of Vieques
- Ziplining with one of several adventure companies, town of Orocovis
- A relaxing few days in Old San Juan
- An extended surfing stay in Rincón